Wednesday, October 30, 2013

creative assignment # 2

Lolita-by Vladamir Nabokov-pg.218

Dolly, think. 
"Man? Oh, that man. Oh yes. Oh, I don't know. He wondered if I had a map. Lost his way, I guess."
We drove on. Humbert gripped the steering wheel, a vein in the side of his neck bulged and pulsed. 
My brave travel buddy inhaled, then managed to croak what sounded like that name he called me.
"Lo."
Clearer now.
"Lo?" the poor man's whisper then turned to a quiet squeal "Who is that man?"
I extended my legs across the dashboard. Relax.
"Hush, Father dearest, there is really no cause for alarm."
We drove on still. I felt my chest involuntarily swell with pride. Dearest. Yes, that's good.
I felt his gaze linger on my profile. I pursed my lips adorably.
More questions.
"Lo, this doesn't feel right...please, tell me the truth? Was he someone from our hometown?"
Staring at my 'daddums,' my eyes wide and innocent, but my mouth slack and mocking, I couldn't help myself. I had to revel for a moment on the sweat that glimmered on his temple. Snapping out of it, I said:
"Father darling, I would never lie to you...I sure hope he isn't a cop. What do you think?"
Our car swerved slightly and slowed down as soon as I uttered those words. 
Brilliant Humbert didn't want to look suspicious.
Truth is, Humbie-humbie is petrified. 
Cheery-cherry-cheeked Dolly-Lo, joyous.
"What do you mean, Lo? I didn't like how you spoke to each other...it was as if you knew each other. Please, tell me something to ease your old man's mind."
Baring my teeth. Don't get mad. Just breathe, Enjoy.
Yes, no problem, Dad.
"I'm only kidding, jeez! Hey, whaddaya say you relax, will ya? You're gonna get one of those panic attacks again."
Humbie-humfuck does his deep breaths. Yes, good, relax.
"Besides, I am parched. Need my big strong daddy to hurry to that rest stop so I can get a drink."


No comments:

Post a Comment